CBD is well-known for promoting healing inside the body, but what about on its surface? In this guide, we’ll explore what CBD cream can do for sunburns.
Several of the natural properties that CBD possesses, namely its ability to reduce pain and inflammation, lend themselves extremely well to sunburn treatment. If you’re dealing with a burn, CBD cream can help you feel more comfortable and your skin heal faster than it would otherwise.
Recent research into CBD and how it interacts with the skin has revealed promising results for sunburns and chronic skin health conditions alike. Let’s take a deeper dive into what CBD cream can do for the skin, how it accomplishes these things, and what you can do to incorporate it into your routine.
Is CBD Good for Sun-Damaged Skin?
The natural anti-inflammatory and healing properties of CBD, specifically topical CBD, make it a great option for treating skin that’s been burnt or damaged by the sun.
Alongside other good skincare habits, CBD creams, oils, and other products can help you manage the pain associated with your sunburn. They may also help accelerate the rate at which your skin regenerates and heals itself.
Does CBD Help Skin Heal?
There’s a lot of promise when it comes to CBD cream’s healing abilities; current research suggests that CBD can indeed help the skin bounce back faster thanks to reduced inflammation.
Exactly how CBD accomplishes this task has yet to be fully understood, but we do know that CBD and other cannabinoids interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system.
Certain receptors found throughout this system, particularly the C1 and C2 receptors, are known to play a role in the immune response that causes swelling, redness, and tenderness at the site of a sunburn.
So, by binding to and altering the function of these receptors, CBD can impact how the body responds to an injury. Sunburns are no exception to this.
Also promising is the way CBD seems to be able to specifically help the skin.
One 2019 study, for instance, demonstrated that a CBD ointment administered to participants with severe, chronic skin diseases made a significant difference in symptoms and the appearance of scarring.
Another study examining the healing of oral ulcers showed that CBD may be able to further support cell repair and rejuvenation by limiting inflammation and accelerating lesion closure.
What Kind of Cream is Good for Sunburns?
Because sunburnt skin is sensitive, delicate, and prone to further injury or damage, it’s important to treat it with care. That means using creams that can help soothe the surface of your skin without causing irritation, limit pain and inflammation, and rehydrate the area you apply them to.
Keeping your sunburn clean and well-cared for can help you shave days off of the healing process.
Will CBD Cream Help Sunburn?
It’s safe to say that CBD cream has a lot of potential to help heal sunburns, or at least keep the pain that comes with them at bay. Its properties help limit inflammation and support the bodily systems that promote healing.
Specific benefits of CBD cream (and CBD in general) that make it a great choice for sunburn treatment include:
- Efficiency. Unlike traditional anti-inflammatory medications, CBD has the ability to attack inflammation at the source through several pathways. In other words, CBD can reduce inflammation by interacting with several different parts of the body instead of just one or two.
- Regulating inflammation. CBD interacts with receptors in the endocannabinoid system that are involved in the inflammatory/immune response that follows a sunburn. For instance, by limiting the production of cytokines, which the body uses during an immune response, CBD can lower the amount of swelling and redness you experience.
- Reducing the breakdown of anandamide. The endocannabinoid anandamide is naturally produced and stored in the body regardless of CBD use. It helps the body reduce inflammation, itching, and pain. CBD can further help support skin healing by halting or slowing the breakdown of anandamide, which ensures the body has the resources it needs to regulate painful symptoms.
Is Hemp Cream Good for Sunburn?
Hemp creams, formulated with hemp oil from plants that have not been bred to have significant levels of CBD, still offer some benefits for sunburn treatment despite their lack of cannabinoids.
The antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals found in hemp plants and the oil they create can provide support to your skin as it heals.
By keeping your skin hydrated and nourished, hemp creams can certainly be great for sunburns.
What Should You Not Put on Sunburn?
In general, it’s best to avoid putting anything unnecessary on your sunburn; stick to lightweight, hydrating lotions that don’t contain irritating ingredients.
Also avoid putting heat on your sunburn for the first few days, as this may increase inflammation and pain.
Ingredients to Avoid Putting on Sunburns
There are several types of ingredients commonly found in creams and lotions that you should avoid, including:
- Petroleum jelly and ointments containing it, which can trap heat inside the skin and worsen discomfort
- Alcohols, which can dry out the skin and slow down the healing process
- Ice: if you use a cold compress, be sure that it’s wrapped in a towel to avoid direct contact with the skin
- Products with “-caine” ingredients (ex: benzocaine, lidocaine), which can irritate the skin or cause an allergic reaction
- Lotions with artificial scents or dyes
These sorts of ingredients can make your skin itchier, drier, and more inflamed, all of which will set you back and can make the healing process take longer.
What Heals Sunburn Fast?
Sunburns heal the fastest when they’re well-cared for. That means keeping your skin clean and moisturized, staying hydrated, and taking care of yourself so that your body can focus the maximum amount of resources on repairing your skin.
CBD cream is a natural solution that can help you accomplish these goals and more.
You can avoid the potentially irritating or negative side effects of traditional pain-relieving options while also providing your skin with the means to get better faster.
To take advantage of CBD and all it can do for your healing sunburn, we recommend using a high-quality product that’s designed to support the skin, like the FABCBD Topical CBD Cream.
On top of CBD itself, which will help combat your burn’s inflammation, the formula of this cream includes a handful of other ingredients that are great for treating a sunburn, including:
- Aloe vera, which naturally releases heat from the site of the burn, moisturizes the skin, and reduces inflammation
- Cocoa butter, a great source of deep, long-lasting moisture
- Coconut oil, which is believed to have powerful antioxidant properties
- Vitamin E, which helps speed wound healing
FABCBD is a leader in the industry in terms of quality and trustworthiness, so you can rest assured that your product will make a difference.
Many of the natural properties of CBD topicals make them an ideal choice for treating sunburns, including the ability to reduce inflammation, lessen pain, and even speed up the rate at which cells repair themselves.
Also beneficial is CBD’s ability to help the body hang on to its own line of defense against these symptoms.
By addressing the source of sunburn-related discomfort in multiple ways, CBD acts as a powerful method of treatment that comes with few, if any, drawbacks.
For these reasons and more, as more research into the way CBD interacts with the skin and the body’s natural ability to heal emerges, it’s possible we’ll see the cannabinoid make its way into the world of dermatological treatment.
But, for now, you can take advantage of CBD’s amazing benefits yourself by purchasing products that are designed to meet your goals.
Our directory offers a comprehensive list of product and brand options that deliver great results without breaking the bank to make it simple to find what works for you.
FABCBD Topical CBD Cream
FABCBD Topical CBD Cream
Price vs Value
Quality – 5/5
Aroma – 5/5
Price vs Value – 5/5
Experience – 5/5
Company Reputation – 5/5